Binus International - Binus University
The Aceh Cloud and Mobile Gaming 2014 Bootcamp is to empower the local youths in Aceh to use the internet as the engine to self-develop and increase the local economic growth through creative economy. This project is smartly in line with the Strategic Plan of Creative Economic Development Indonesia 2025 about the placement of software application development and digital gaming as part of creative economy group that has been encouraged to grow in Indonesia. As its objective is to empower creative economy in Aceh, this project aims to produce many local young technopreneurs to surface in the local cloud and mobile gaming industry. Therefore, the participants were trained on several important skills in developing cloud and mobile gaming application for multiplatform environments; Windows 8, Android and iOs. Not only technical skills on game development and design, the participants were also taught on various technopreneurship knowledge on startup formulation and online marketing strategies to make their apps selling on the online store. The bootcamp that has been planned since 2013 has successfully been conducted from 12 – 20 April 2014. It has trained more than 110 community members from various elements of the societies that came from secondary schools students, high schools students, Islamic boarding schools students, university students and also some professionals. This bootcamp was successfully implemented with an excellence collaboration of 9 organizations that came from International organizations, national companies and institutions, also local government and communities. There are about 25 cloud and mobile game apps with local contents have been developed out of this bootcamp and the city Major of Banda Aceh has announced that a fix city budget will be allocated in the future years to sustain the program.
The most important aspect from this project is to empower the local youths in Aceh to use the internet as the engine to self-develop and increase the local economic growth through creative economy. As Dr. Mari Elka Pangestu; the current Minister of Tourism and Creative Economy has mentioned in the Strategic Plan of Creative Economic Development Indonesia 2025 that software application development and digital gaming are among the fourteen sectors in the creative economy group which she encourages more SMEs to be moving toward this direction. Geographically, Aceh is a unique province in Indonesia. This province has a long history on its military conflict and a tragic trauma after badly struck by the Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami back in the 2004. Since then, the military conflict has ended and the whole rehabilitation and reconstruction processes post tsunami were carried out. Today, Aceh has its new face in its education and technology infrastructures. Especially Banda Aceh as the capital city of Aceh has now become one of the leading cities in Indonesia in adopting development and Information Technology, particularly the internet. However, the economic growth of this province is still not showing a satisfactory increase. This is shown by the data published by the Indonesia Statistic Agency (BPS) from 2010 - 2011 that Aceh economic growth ranked number 7thof the top ten poorest province in Indonesia and also ranked number 8th in the top ten highest unemployment number in Indonesia with 8.37% of the unemployment rate. Cloud gaming offers new opportunities for the local youths to be self-employed and create their own business. Even though this is not a new technology; but cloud gaming has gained much popularity and growing wider together with the rise of many wireless mobile devices. This idea is exactly in line with the strategic objective of ISIF in creating successful and sustainable models for innovative usage of internet provision services and creates competitive commercial values for alternative business models environment.
Our cloud and mobile gaming bootcamp project that has successfully been conducted from 12 - 20 April 2014 at two cities in Aceh Province, Indonesia has met common goals on creating successful and sustainable models for innovative usage of internet provision services and create competitive commercial values for alternative business models for youths in Aceh. The bootcamp has capacity built more than 110 community members from various elements of the societies that came from secondary schools students, high schools students, Islamic boarding schools students, university students and also some professionals. The bootcamp that was originally supported by only 4 implementing organizations has managed to invite up to the total of 9 organizations to participate in the project. Those sponsors came from International, national and local organizations and created an excellence collaborative partnership to the success of the project. The main objective of the bootcamp is to train the community members in developing cloud and mobile gaming application in multiplatform environments; Windows 8, Android and iOs which is aimed to provide additional online earning incomes for the communities. Not only technical skills on game development and design, at this free of charge bootcamp, the participants were also taught on various technopreneurship knowledge on startup formulation and online marketing strategies to make their apps selling on the online store. At the closing, the city major of Banda Aceh promised the communities that the similar bootcamp will be conducted in the coming years and special city budget will be allocated for it. The major sees the project as a very positive and productive event in bringing Banda Aceh to adapt digital creative industry in the society. Some of positive impacts of the bootcamp has started to show; there are about 25 cloud and mobile game apps with local contents have been developed from those two cities. The Banda Aceh city government office as one of our main implementing partners in Banda Aceh has just won the 2014 IDSA award given by the Ministry of Information and Communication of Indonesia (source: bit.ly/1jLMcnI). This project has also hit the news all over local and national media. With the keyword search of Aceh Cloud Gaming 2014 on Google, we can easily read tons of news on this project.
A. To train at least 100 local community members in Aceh on cloud & mobile gaming technology.
B. To promote technopreneurship and capacity build how to monetize the cloud game apps.
The training is not merely exercising technical parts but also capacity build the participant on how to prepare a small startup. Monetization plays important role in preparing a startup to generate income
The bootcamp mainly aims to promote the concept of cloud and mobile gaming technology to the participants. To support this, the trainers have include several technologies below in the process of training:
1. Cloud Computing related technologies
- Google Drive
- Google App Engine
2. Game Development (Game Engines) related technologies
- Construct 2
3. Game Design related technologies
4. Multiplatform development related technologies
A. Before the Training
Several activities in preparing the training include:
1. Defining goals and timelines
2. Identifying communities
3. Identifying location of the training
4. Collaborate with the local government and potential sponsors
5. Gather human resources (expert trainers) according to the topic being taught (eg. Cloud, Game Design, Game Development, Startup Formulation)
6. Develop material and training agenda
7. Develop follow-up plan
B. During the Training
1. Pretest survey on the technology to be taught
2. Brief the concept, more exercises
3. State a clear purpose of the training to all participants
4. State the end result expected of the training to all participants
5. Get the participants to work in groups
6. Get the group to produce at least one working game per group
7. Establish a communication medium so all participants may still communicate even after the training has ended
C. After the Training
1. Post test survey on the technology taught
2. Feedback survey of the training
3. Monitoring apps and startup tracking form
4. Report writing
5. Implement the follow-up plan to keep in touch with all participants
6. Follow up with the local government on how to move to product development phase
Partial outcomes that have been achieved out of the project are:
1. 114 participants have had new knowledge and skills on cloud and mobile game development and design in multi-platform environments.
2. Participants also learned the strategy on apps monetization and startup formulation.
3. At least 25 cloud and mobile game application were developed out of the bootcamp and ready to compete for Banda Aceh Madani City Award 2014 that will be conducted in August 2014.
4. At least five game software personal edition licenses have been distributed to support sustaining the development of the games within its community members.
5. To sustain the similar bootcamp in the future, the Major of Banda Aceh city has declared to allocate additional budget to its yearly city program budget during the closing of the bootcamp.
6. Declared to be one of the city program, Aceh Cloud & Mobile Gaming Bootcamp 2014 has boost the value of Banda Aceh city program in technology development in the community and contribute to the city in winning the IDSA (Indonesian Digital Society Award) 2014 by the Ministry of Information and Communication of Indonesia in May 2014.
More outcomes will be achieved after the full completion of the project in August 2014.
Aceh Cloud and Mobile Gaming (ACMG) 2014 Bootcamp main activities has been completed after the implementation of the training last April. However, one last activity remains to be implemented in August 2014. That is a digital gaming competition for Banda Aceh Madani Digital Award 2014. This competition will appreciate the best gaming application that promotes the city of Banda Aceh through cloud and mobile gaming and were developed out of ACMG bootcamp 2014. Many publication have been made regarding ACMG 2014 and the Banda Ace Digital Madani Award. Below are some publication made about the project:
- Pemko Banda Aceh Akan Berikan Anugerah Madani Award
- Siswa di Aceh Dilatih Cara Bikin Game Online http://kampus.okezone.com/read/2014/04/13/373/969606/siswa-di-aceh-dilatih-cara-bikin-game-online
- MIT Gelar Pelatihan Merancang Games dan Wirausaha http://aceh.tribunnews.com/2014/04/08/mit-gelar-pelatihan-merancang-games-dan-wirausaha
- Aceh Cloud and Mobile Gaming Bootcamp 2014 di Gelar di Banda Acehhttp://aceh.tribunnews.com/2014/04/18/aceh-cloud-anda-mobil-gaming-bootcamp-2014-di-gelar-di-banda-aceh
- Pelajar Dilatih Membuat Game http://aceh.tribunnews.com/2014/04/19/pelajar-dilatih-membuat-game
- Yapenbit Adakan Pelatihan Perancangan Games Berbasis Mobile http://acehnationalpost.com/11/lhokseumaweanp/10736-yapenbit-adakan-pelatihan-perancangan-games-berbasis-mobile.html
- HUT Pemko, Pemuda Dilatih Buat Game Online Mobile http://acehprov.go.id/index.php/news/read/2014/04/21/872/hut-pemko-pemuda-dilatih-buat-game-online-mobile.html
- Illiza Salut Dalam 4 Hari Training Remaja Bisa Ciptakan Game http://acehprov.go.id/index.php/news/read/2014/04/21/885/illiza-salut-dalam-4-hari-training-remaja-bisa-ciptakan-game.html
- ICAIOS Latih Membuat Game Online bagi Pelajar dan Mahasiswa http://atjehpost.com/articles/read/2689/ICAIOS-Latih-Membuat-Game-Online-bagi-Pelajar-dan-Mahasiswa
- Illiza Buka Aceh Cloud and Mobile Gaming http://atjehpost.com/articles/read/2887/Illiza-Buka-Aceh-Cloud-and-Mobile-Gaming
- Puluhan Muda Mudi Banda Aceh Dilatih Membuat Game Online http://atjehpost.com/articles/read/2889/Puluhan-Muda-Mudi-Banda-Aceh-Dilatih-Membuat-Game-Online
- Remaja IT Banda Aceh Ciptakan Game Selama Empat Hari Training http://atjehpost.com/articles/read/3024/Remaja-IT-Banda-Aceh-Ciptakan-Game-Selama-Empat-Hari-Training
- Game “Lada Sicupak” http://jroh.us/portfolio/game-lada-sicupak
- Pelajar dan Mahasiswa Dilatih Mobile Gaming http://medanbisnisdaily.com/news/read/2014/04/21/91146/pelajar_dan_mahasiswa_dilatih_mobile_gaming
- Siswa di Aceh Dilatih Cara Bikin Game Online http://ns1.kompas.web.id/read/read/2014/04/13/373/969606/siswa-di-aceh-dilatih-cara-bikin-game-online
- MIT Gelar Pelatihan Merancang Games dan Wirausaha http://www.acehmail.com/2014/04/mit-gelar-pelatihan-merancang-games-dan-wirausaha/
- Pelajar Dilatih Membuat Game http://www.acehmail.com/2014/04/pelajar-dilatih-membuat-game/
- Pelatihan Game Mobile dan Awan Aceh di Banda Aceh http://www.acehresearch.org/en/component/content/article/1-latest-news/177-pelatihan-game-mobile-dan-awan-aceh-di-banda-aceh.html
- ICAIOS in The News - Siswa di Aceh Dilatih Cara Bikin Game Online http://www.acehresearch.org/en/notice-board/icaios-in-the-news/39-icaios-in-the-news/175-siswa-di-aceh-dilatih-cara-bikin-game-online.html
- ICAIOS in The News - ICAIOS Latih Membuat Game Online bagi Pelajar dan Mahasiswa http://www.acehresearch.org/en/notice-board/icaios-in-the-news/39-icaios-in-the-news/176-icaios-latih-membuat-game-online-bagi-pelajar-dan-mahasiswa.html
- Illiza salut dalam 4 hari training remaja bisa ciptakan game http://www.ajnn.net/2014/04/illiza-salut-dalam-4-hari-training-remaja-bisa-ciptakan-game/
- Pelajar dan mahasiswa ikut training Ilmu Mobile Gaming http://www.ajnn.net/2014/04/pelajar-dan-mahasiswa-ikut-training-ilmu-mobile-gaming/
- Banda Aceh Islamic Cyber City http://www.peristiwa.co/banda-aceh-islamic-cyber-city.html
- Aceh Cloud and Mobile gaming Boothcamp 2014 di Gelar di Banda Aceh http://pb.acehmail.com/2014/04/aceh-cloud-anda-mobil-gaming-bootcamp-2014-di-gelar-di-banda-aceh/
As a member of BINA NUSANTARA family, Binus Students are continuously taking place in both national and international competitions and award. Their hard work and dedication altogether are rewarded with an impressive array of awards. Some of their achievements are: Binus student became one of the speakers in Global Windows Azure Bootcamp – Jakarta (April 27, 2013) An application (SOS Children) created by Computer Science students were in the Top 5 Imagine Cup 2013 Indonesia (World Citizenship Category) 3 Apps Created by Computer Science Students in Top 10 Windows 8 Competition held by Scirra (in 2013): 8th place: Maru Toy Catch created by Michelle and Michael 7th place: Telebeanies created by Febndy Kwik 4th place: Blast ‘em All created by Anthony Wijaya 1st runner up for ALSA UI E-Comp 2013 Debate Competition 3rd best speaker at the quater finals for ALSA UNPAD Debate Competition 1st & 2nd best speaker for ASEAN English Olympics 3rd, 4th & 5th best speaker for the 2013 Indonesian Varsity English Debating Championship Finalist at e-Inclusion Category, Indonesia ICT Award (Inaicta) 2012 4 Gold Medalists and 8 Silver Medalists for the 2010 International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) National Champion L’oreal Girls Science (June 2010) 2010 Singapore and ASEAN Schools Maths Olympiad Bronze Medal Winner 4 Delegates and Best Presentation Award at the 2nd International Youth Leaders Forum 2010, Singapore 2 Delegates at the International Science Youth Forum 2010, Singapore 6 IB Diploma Examiners, 2 IB Workshop Leaders, and 2 IB Schools Visiting Team Members 1st Winner of Indonesia ICT Award 2010 (INAICTA) inUniversity Student Project Category 2010 Indonesian Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise (MAKE) Study Award 6th Best Speaker EFL Category World University Debating Championship 2010 di Turki 3rd Winner of Japanese Speech Competition (Jabodetabek) in The 2010 Japan Foundation & PERSADA (Japanese Alumni Organization) Speech Competition 1st Winner of Protocol Fair – National TV Presenter Competition 2010 Program Director in Indonesian Youth Conference 1st Winner of International Public Speaking and Debate Championship, April 2010 2nd Winner of United ASEAN Debating Championship, May 2010 1st Winner CISCO Network Competition 2009 Old Winner in International Category and Challenge Trophy in CIMS Marketing Competition 2009 Gold Trophy 1st International Winner and Challenge Trophy [1st Overall Winner] of Chartered Institute of Marketing Singapore, Marketing Plan Competition Honorable Mention, ACM ICPC World Final 2009 - Stockholm, Sweden Guinness World Record Breaking Attempt “Most People Doing Crosswords Simultaneously” with 550 participants (BINUS English Club) in 2010 Juara Esai Terpilih (Winner in Selected Essay) in University Mobility in Asia and The Pacific (UMAP) and DIKTI 2009 (Hotel Management), earning a prize of Hospitality and Tourism study scholarship from Dikti and UMAP Runner Up of Mixed Choir 26th Festival International de Musica de Cantonigros ICAS (International Competition and Assessments for Schools) 2009, English Category, Science Category, Mathematics Category Australian Mathematics Competition, Westpac Awards 2009 (Proud and Outstanding Achiever with Distinction Honour).
Teuku Aulia Geumpana